We have those days when we don't feel like ourselves. We roll out of bed feeling melancholic and unable to point out why we are feeling like this. Don't worry! It's completely OK , and it happens to the best of us.
This Monday, I woke up feeling sad, and I had no idea what to do. I sat with the feeling for a good hour, and later found myself wondering whether this is the energy I wanted to embrace for the rest of my day, Remember, happiness is a state of mind. I decided to make a list about all the positive events that were happening in my life, and I realized that the negative events that I was brooding over were minuscule compared to all the love I was receiving.
I reached out to a couple of friends telling them how I felt, and immediately, I sensed their unconditional support. When we feel low, we have the tendency to seclude ourselves; hence, this amplifies the negative feeling even more. Then, I decided that I will look like my best. I took the time to do my makeup (even though it wasn't a special occasion), and to pick out an outfit that would make me feel happy and confident. The fact that I was embracing positive energy while doing all of this, automatically uplifted my mood.
Here are some ways to improve your mood:
- Clear out clutter from your site. A cluttered space can drain out your energy, and when you organize the mess, you will immediate feel a sense of calmness within you. Cleaning is meditative as well.
- Do not feel secluded. Contact a close friend to let him or her know how you are feeling. You will feel surprised to see how much people care about you.
- Go for a walk. Seriously, just go out to get some fresh air. When you are sitting by yourself in sadness, you are embracing that negative feeling. When you get to see life outside of your room, then that negative feeling will slip away.
- Take the time to get ready. This is a form of self-care and a sacred task as well. This does not mean that you have to be perfect. It means that you took your time to respect yourself. It could be a simple outfit such as a pair of jeans with a t-shirt. By loving and caring for yourself, you will radiate positive energy and that simple outfit becomes beautiful and joyful. For girls, you could take your time to do your eye makeup or perfect your contouring. ;-)
- If you have the extra time, then walk towards your favorite place. This could a beautiful coffee shop, and you could sip on your favorite espresso drink. Many people like to think that espresso drinks are costly, but when you are comparing it to the wonderful experience you receive, it's priceless. You could also go to your favorite park. During the evening, I took Mika on a stroller ride, and not only did it strengthen our relationship, but it made the little guy so happy.